University of Arkansas

Walton College

The Sam M. Walton College of Business

Career Services: Employer Resources

The dedicated staff of Walton Career Services strives to connect you with outstanding students to meet your hiring needs, including full-time employment, part-time positions, and internships.

Walton College of Business Academic Programs

Undergraduate Programs

The Sam M. Walton College of Business offers two degree programs: Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (BSBA) and Bachelor of Science in International Business (BSIB). Both degrees allow students to choose from a broad variety of majors and concentrations: 
  • Accounting, Economics, Finance, General Business, Information Systems, Management, Marketing, Retail, and Supply Chain Management

Graduate Programs

  • Masters Programs: Master of Business Administration, Master of Accountancy, Master of Economics, Master of Information Systems
  • Doctoral Programs: Ph.D. in Accounting, Economics, Finance, Information Systems, Management, Marketing, and Supply Chain Management

Internships and Cooperative Education

If you need students to fill an internship or part-time position, Walton Career Services can help! You can post your opportunities in our online job system, Handshake. Click here for details on how to post a position. For help with hiring interns, view our Six Steps to Hiring Interns page. 

Students working at a job or internship that pertains to their business major or minor may be eligible to receive academic credit through Cooperative Education (Co-op). Students must meet the following academic eligibility requirements to participate in Co-op: GPA of 2.5 or above, junior or senior standing in the College, and completion of all pre-business core courses.

Benefits of Co-op to Your Organization:

  • You have access to a diverse labor pool of talented, skilled, motivated & committed workers.
  • You can meet your various staffing needs, including full-time, part-time, summer and seasonal.
  • You can evaluate the student's job performance prior to graduation and perhaps decide to make a full-time job offer.
  • You can invest in training the Co-op student, thus reducing training time upon full-time employment.
  • Co-op students maintain full-time University student status and advantages including health care benefits.
  • Students can evaluate the benefits of working in your company prior to accepting an offer for full-time employment.
  • The Walton College Co-op Coordinator serves as a partner to assist you and the student in making this a successful experience.
  • You gain excellent visibility and public relations on our campus.

On-going Co-op surveys indicate our students are eager to learn from the job, take on increasing levels of responsibility, and use their job knowledge, skills and academic theory to contribute to the Co-op Employer.

Hiring International Students

Summer Internships: International students are eligible to work in the United States as summer interns with no additional expense or work on your part. The only requirement from your firm is an offer letter stating employment dates, location of employment, and description of employment duties. There is no requirement that U.S. citizen applicants be recruited for intern positions before international applicants.

Full-time Employment: Most international students who complete a U.S. degree are eligible for 12 to 18 months of employment in the United States for "practical or academic training" experience under a student visa. It is not necessary for students to change their visa status for a full-time job under this type of employment, and no action is required on your part to enable students with the student visa to start work immediately. The student will have an Employment Authorization Document as proof of employability.

Long-term Employment: With the H-1B or Temporary Worker visa application, international students are eligible for up to an additional six years of employment in the United States with your firm. The employee and employer apply for the H-1B for an initial three years of professional employment. The H-1B requires the employee to continue working for the company that petitioned for the H-1B. After the initial three year period, the visa may be extended for another three years.

Application for the H-1B is made by the employer through the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services a few months before practical training expires. An approved labor condition application from the Department of Labor and the Immigration and Naturalization Service must be obtained first.

It is possible and not uncommon for employers to want to retain a recent graduate past the time allowed by the H-1B visa. One of the several options available is for you to make an application to the Department of Labor and the Immigration and Naturalization Service for permanent resident status on the employer's behalf. This is an involved process that requires expert legal advice.

Please read through the University of Arkansas' Employer's Guide to Hiring International Students. Employers are encouraged to consult the University of Arkansas' International Programs Office at 479.575.5003, if assistance is needed with this process.

Sponsors and Partners